All the main tourist hotspots are within a range of just a few kilometres. Indeed, the position of the Miglio d'Oro Park Hotel is strategic for all major destinations. In addition to the archaeological digs in Herculaneum, just five minutes' walk away, and those in Pompeii, which are just twenty minutes' train ride away on the Circumvesuviana, the Miglio d'Oro Park Hotel, while being remote from the frenetic pace of the city centre, still allows you to visit Naples conveniently, as it is only 7 km away.
Thanks to efficient sea connections, you may also visit the islands in the Gulf, Capri and Ischia, as well as the most charming venues on the coast, including Sorrento, Amalfi and Positano. The Metrò del Mare ferry station is within easy access of the Miglio d'Oro Park Hotel. Getting to Mount Vesuvius to admire its national park is just as easy. Our staff is there to organise guided tours and excursions for our guests.
|Digs in Herculaneum
Location: Corso Resina
The digs in Herculaneum are an immeasurable casket of art and history. The city that remains today was buried by the eruption in 79 A.D. which covered it with a thick blanket of mud and plastic materials, permitted the preservation of the upper storeys of houses, of organic materials such as wood, textiles and food, much more so than in Pompeii. The buildings brought to the light by the digs include: the Gym, the spa complex, the Augustinian College, the Theatre, the Bicentenary house and the monumental Papyrus Villa, situated just outside the digs.
|The digs in Pompeii
Buried under a 6 metre thick blanket of ash and lapilli, the ancient city of Pompeii, destroyed by the eruption in 79 A.D., was brought back to the light thanks to the excavation campaign undertaken under the rule of Charles of Bourbon, the King of Two Sicilies, in 1748. With a sequence of affairs, linked closely to historical events (French occupation, Unification of Italy), Pompeii slowly exposed its beauty over the course of the centuries until the present day.
Today, the archaeological area covers 44 hectares and is distinguished by the remarkable state of preservation of the buildings. It is without a doubt one of the most famous and popular sites in the world, with its perfectly stone-paved streets, houses and patrician villas, temples, the Forum, theatres and the unmistakable outline of Mount Vesuvius on the horizon, fascinating and mysterious.
Location: Corso Resina 283
Hand-built during the 18th Century and commissioned by Luzio di Sangro, the duke of Casacalenda and Prince Campolieto. Designed in 1755 by the architect Mario Gioffredo, it was completed by Michelangelo Giustiniani and later by Luigi Vanvitelli. One particular architectural feature is the Rotunda, characterised by arches on a row of Tuscanic columns which create a double walk on two storeys together with the upper terrace: one opens onto the garden and the other onto the panorama of the Gulf. Currently the villa is used as premises for a top managerial training school and it is also the venue of concerts, shows and exhibitions at different times of the year. The garden and some of the finely decorated rooms are open to the public, entrance is free of charge. It hosts a museum with acoustic guide facilities.
Location: Via A. Rossi 40
Hand-built in the 18th Century and commissioned by Baron Enrico Petti; it became the property of the Ruggiero family in 1863.
The villa, situated at the foot of Mount Vesuvius, a typical example of a “rustic home”, is small in size and is arranged in a single building developed over three floors, where stucco adornments prevail.
It is the seat of the public library, rich in valuable texts, and of a museum with acoustic guide facilities.
Location: Corso Resina 291
The 18th Century building, built by Ferdinando Fuga, referred to as the “Favorita” (favourite) by King Charles of Bourbon as a tribute to queen Maria Carolina of Austria, features an unusual planimetric layout inspired by the local late Baroque production. The villa overlooks immense grounds where Leopold the Prince of Salerno had a building constructed for guests and games which he opened to his subjects on holidays.
In the 1800s, it was the residence of Ismail Pascià, vice-king of Egypt, who had some of the rooms decorated in Turkish style.
The large area of the Villa's lower grounds or “Parco inferiore” ends towards the sea with the Bourbon berthing built to make it easy to get to. It hosts a museum with acoustic guide facilities.
Location: Contrada Osservatorio
A permanent exhibition on the slops of Mount Vesuvius, an open-air museum where contemporary art merges with nature. For the first time in history, the Volcano beholds creations which rise out of the natural compressions of lava: ten of the most world-famous European artists sculpt lava stone to create an artwork destined to remain along the road that leads from Herculaneum to the highest slopes of Mount Vesuvius.
Location: Piazza Pugliano
Resina market, which began during WWII, when objects and clothes stolen from the American convoys were traded there, is the most famous markets for used objects and second-hand clothes and military surpluses in Central and Southern Italy: it is the paradise of vintage clothing. Very popular among youths, from designers to costume designers from Cinecittà film studios: to mention just a few, this is where the clothes from the films “I cento passi” (The Hundred Steps), “La meglio gioventù” (The Best of Youth), “Prima dammi un bacio” (Kiss Me First) were bought.